Recipe: BBQ corn with Mexican spicy butter and lime
This grilled corn will be a total winner at your next BBQ party. Whether you’re catering for a Mexican fiesta or need a fun side dish for some grilled meat and fish, this simple recipe will become a staple in your repertoire . I made it because I love the corn on the cob you get in Indonesia, it’s brushed with amazing spicy sambal butter and garlic. I wanted to create something similar for a friend’s summer BBQ but decided to use Mexican flavours instead -spicy cayenne pepper, cumin, and zesty lime combined with lushes of rich butter. It’s a real festive mix of sweet, salty, spicy and sour. Wash it down with cold beer or a Margarita or two.
Visit my new website Eat Drink Paleo
- 5 sweet corn cobs, leaves and silk removed
- 70gm butter
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 tsp brown or white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 fresh lime
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Fresh coriander and more lime for garnish
- Place corn in a large saucepan with water and bring to boil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter with spices, salt, sugar, garlic and juice of 1 lime in a small saucepan or pan. Let it dissolve completely and turn off just as it starts bubbling. Mix thouroughly.
- In the meantime, heat the BBQ or grill to high and spray with oil.
- Drain the corn and rinse under cold water to allow it to cool down for easier handling. Using a large, sharp knife cut the cobs in three equal parts.
- Place the corn on the barbecue or other grill plate. You can also do it under the oven grill. Brush the corn with the butter mix all over, you can toss it in the butter in a large bowl if you don’t have a brush. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Take the corn off the grill and layer on a serving platter. Drizzle with more fresh lime juice, sprinkle with a little sea salt and fresh coriander.
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Number of servings (yield): 15 mini cobs
What is your favourite way to cook with corn?